What a promise for those of us who have placed our faith in the Lord! This promise appears to be two-fold:
- “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life” – God’s promise for me on this side of eternity;
- “and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever” – I get to spend eternity with Him once my brief time on this earth (from God’s perspective) is done.
I have been feeling under the weather this week – I found myself around a couple of people who were sick last week, and sure enough, I caught what they had. Had I known that they were sick in advance, I probably would have made other plans. What was probably a passing cold for them has turned into a full-on sinus infection for me (as it usually does. That’s why I firmly believe that if you have cold and flu symptoms, should stay home and rest, or at a minimum, give those around you the courtesy of knowing that you are sick in advance, so they can make alternate arrangements).
But I digress.
Regardless, I can be hopeful today for several different reasons:
- I’m reminded of the good health that I enjoy for most of the year, and I’ll remember to not take it for granted when it returns;
- I’m grateful for wonderful physicians who care about me, and who make sure that I get the care that I need in a timely fashion; and
- I can rest in the knowledge that this, too, will pass. Much like the struggles that of all of us and/or here on this earth, as difficult as they are, they are only temporary. While we are here, our friends Goodness and Mercy keep us company, and we take comfort in the knowledge that out eternal future is secure! (even with a sinus infection) 😉