Well, I reckon that we ought to do what the verse says:
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!
Don’t you think it’s interesting that it says “let everything,” rather than “let everyone“?
In a nutshell, all living things (including people) are to praise God. For instance,
- The entire animal kingdom
- All trees, plants, and foliage
- All bodies of water, big and small
- The skies, and all that is in them (thunder, lightning, wind, rain, and clouds)
- Mountains and volcanoes; valleys, cliffs and caves
- All things subterranean (under the earth)
- Galaxies and universes seen and unseen, known and unknown
- Deserts and rainforests; flowers and grass
- Uninhabited, barren, and perpetually winterized places like Antactica
And people. Always people. We are God’s children and we are made in His image, so there is always a reason for praise (even when we don’t feel like it, because life can be hard. In such times, we choose to praise the Lord through our tears).
So do you have breath in your body? Then I highly recommend doing what the psalmist says: “Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!”